Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Help for Pratt City

April 27th was a dark day. Unprecedented tornado outbreaks were recorded through the entire state of Alabama. One community, Pratt City, suffered great loss of property, belongings and lives. In an instant, this community was changed forever.


In the weeks to come, there was a tremendous outpouring of love and assistance from all over the world to restore and rebuild communities like Pratt City.


One Friday morning this past July, I was at home and God suddenly spoke to me and said "Go to Pratt City". Ok...that's fine God but I've never been to Pratt City. Where exactly do I go and what do I do?


Feeling compelled to leave immediately, I loaded my SUV with the remaining tornado relief supplies of diapers, formulas, and baby food left over from our church (www.MyCommunityChurch.net), put "Pratt City" in my GPS and left.


Thirty minutes later, I found myself in the middle of what appeared to be 3rd world country recovering from a nuclear event. Words fail to describe the magnitude of destruction I witnessed. After driving aimlessly for 20-30 minutes in the area trying to determine what God wanted me to do, I pulled into a school parking lot and prayed-I prayed for a sign. What do I do? Where do I go? How can I get rid of all this baby stuff!


Then it happened...a sign. Literally...a sign. I looked up and saw the school sign that read "Tornado Relief Supplies at Mount Moriah Missionary Baptist Church". Was this "the sign"?


I entered "Mount Moriah Missionary Baptist Church" in my GPS and off I went with a new sense of purpose awaiting to see what God was going to do. After a 10 minute drive, I was in the church parking lot.


To make a long blog short, I was connected by a FEMA worker with one of the Pastors at MMMBC. After some small talk, I asked what they needed. His response? "Baby supplies...we NEED baby supplies. Do you have anything?" I smiled and in the words of the great theologian Steven Tyler I said, "Pastor...walk this way!".


We unloaded all the baby supplies from my vehicle and I feel certain it was a blessing to these sweet people.


MMMBC feeds the community 3 times a week and rely mostly on the resources of others to make this happen. They feed and clothe hundreds of people a week. The Community Church has been privileged to assist with several of these feedings. It has been such a humbling experience for our church to partner with this sweet faith family.


Last week, we were at Mt. Moriah serving again in their community feeding. After all was done, I spoke with the lady who oversees this ministry and asked her what Mt. Moriah needs. She stated that the church was adopting families out for Christmas via the Angel Tree ministry; trying to make Christmas happen for families with numerous challenges. As hard as her church has tried to meet every need, there are still families who need assistance!


I know this is last minute but The Community Church NEEDS YOUR IMMEDIATE HELP to serve these families! If your family or church would like to help TCC help Mt. Moriah with these families, please LET ME KNOW!


Here is what is left on Mt. Moriah's Angel Tree list. You will notice below the kids names and their wish list.


Rober  (boy)
Age:  7
Wish List:  Bike, Basketball
Javion (boy)
Age:  2
Clothes size:  5T
Wish List:  Boy toys, interactive toys
Desmond (boy)
Age:  3
Clothes size:  4T
Wish List:  Bike, Football, Truck, Walmart gift card
Jonathan (boy)
Age:  7
Clothes size:  10 reg.
Wish List:  Walmart gift card
Michael (boy)
Age:  9
Clothes size:  12 boys
Wish List:  Bike, Watch, Walmart gift card
Maliyah (girl) Twin sister to Michael above
Age: 9
Clothes size:  12 girls
Wish List:  Bike, guitar for child, Walmart gift card



I know this is VERY SHORT notice but I believe WE CAN make this happen! Please pray how you, your family, or your church can help! If you would like to bring a gift(s) or gift card, we will have a DROP OFF time at The Community Church in Springville, AL at 3:00 PM on SUNDAY DECEMBER 18th. For directions to TCC, go to www.MyCommunityChurch.net


If you plan on donating, email me at ernwillis@yahoo.com


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment