Monday, August 9, 2010

Confessions of a Post Office Line Zombie

Is it me or does customer service these days really stink? Maybe inconsiderate people just seek me out but for the love of Pete it is ever before me! A few days ago I went to our local USPS branch. Granted it was lunch time so the number of people was greater than usual but I had great confidence that my government that was by the people and for the people could handle this lunch bunch.

I took my place in line waiting to mail a simple package. I knew I was in trouble when there was only one person to care for the sea of humanity gathering in the lobby. The middle aged lady behind the counter was a seasoned veteran; skilled at performing her single task with great lack of speed. Her expeditious efforts (or lack thereof) were matched only by her sincere concern for the customer (insert tongue in cheek). Moms with their kids were screaming. Business men were becoming agitated. And I waited…and I waited…and I waited. With each passing minute, I grew weary. Finally, after waiting for 20 minutes, it was my turn.

I wanted to express my concerns about the situation to the lady behind the counter. However I needed that package to go out that day and I didn’t need anything that would impede it from reaching its destination-so I kept my peace.


Let me stop here for a moment and mention something. I am low maintenance. I don’t require much. Even a simple greeting from the lady behind the counter would have sufficed. But not a word was spoken. I looked at her and she looked at me. Her steely eyes bore a hole through my soul as if to say, “Don’t tell me you just want stamps”.

I was already perturbed with the situation and my perturbedness was mounting as the stand-off continued. Why should I not be greeted? What’s wrong with a simple, “Hello sir, how can I serve you today?” Is that too much to request?

We stood locked eyes to eyes for what seemed minutes. Finally, the lady behind the counter spoke. “Yes?”. Are you kidding me? Is that all I’m worth? A simple, one word greeting? I just assumed after waiting for a half eternity, something more than a “Yes” would have been warranted. I mailed the package, walked past the line of “post office line zombies”, and sat in my car where I just shook my head and laughed.

After having some time to reflect on the event, I am reminded of the countless times I have acted like a person behind the counter. Obstinate, selfish, inconsiderate; you name it and I have acted like it. But I am also reminded of the calling we all have in life. Listen to what the Apostle Paul says in the book of Philippians, chapter 2:3-4, “Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.”

God, help us view others the way you view them. Help us to live for something greater than ourselves. Give us the strength to speak to others the words of life-even when it’s hard. Empower us with Yourself and not ourselves. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this message! I try so hard to be patient with others,especially the elderly and those in training for a new job. But my patience was really tested this summer at the Portland,Oregon airport. Yes,I got in line at curbside check in and "Grandpa Jones"(bless his pea pickin' heart) took about 20 minutes to check us in. While others were in line for less than half that time I stood wondering... "WHY ME"?! But, later I thought to myself, What if it had been a really mean, pushy person standing there with Grandpa instead of me. I smiled and thanked him as he handed me my boarding passes and he said, "Thank you for being so understanding, my wife just passed away a few weeks ago and I was just thinking about her". (WOW) I smiled and walked away and thinking to myself... Thank you Lord, I needed that today! Kindness... it does us all good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job my young brother. I love you man.

    Bro trav

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ernie, I have worked customer service before and I can tell you that woman was thrown in a bad situation that probably was not her fault. The Post Office was understaffed that day, and she was there by herself facing the masses.

    I would like to encourage you next time too “reverse the role.” Greet her with a smile, apologize for what she having to go through, give her a word of encouragement, ask her if there is anything you can do to help, and tell her you hope her day gets better.

    That woman has had who knows how long of a line of people throwing their packages down on the counter, giving her dirty looks, complaining about the long wait, hearing that she is too slow, and about how she ran them late. Basically everything that is going on in the customers life is her fault.

    Could she have been nicer to you? Absolutely. However, her stress level was “off the charts.” I understand how she was feeling. You reach a point where when “all hell breaks loose” all you want to do is get things back under control. You tune out the complaints too keep from having an emotional breakdown, and as a result you look at each new customer as a person who is ready to “kick you when you are down.”

    I can guarantee you that woman left work that day feeling like the biggest insignificant loser. Just remember she is a human being that also has feelings and emotions. If you are nice to her, she still might be rude in return, but at least you can leave with your head high for trying to make someone’s day go a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christian, with all due respect, I believe that in the end he did realize that...read his last few paragraphs and you'll see that his prayer is that rather than thinking in the flesh that God would give us eyes to see people as He does. Don't forget that Ernie used to work in customer service as well...not to mention ministry is 24/7 serving people...which we're all called to, not just the vocational people. I hope that you know that he was just being honest for the sake of all of us learning what God showed him.

    ReplyDelete